Wegovy If you need help losing weight, your doctor may recommend Wegovy treatment. It is a prescription medication used in conjunction with exercise and a low-calorie diet to achieve long-term weight loss in:
- adults with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher (obesity)
- adults with a BMI of 27 or higher (which is considered overweight) and a health condition that’s related to weight
- children 12 years and older whose BMI is in the 95th percentile or higher (which is considered obesity)
- your age
- other health conditions you have
- other medications you take
Your doctor or pharmacist can tell you more about the potential side effects of Wegovy. They can also suggest ways to help reduce side effects.
Mild side effects
Mild side effects of Wegovy that have been reported include:
- bloating or pain in the belly area
- indigestion, heartburn, or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- fatigue (low energy)
- stomach flu
* For more information about this side effect, see the “Side effect focus” section below.
Serious side effects
Serious side effects from Wegovy can occur, but they aren’t common. If you have serious side effects from Wegovy, call your doctor right away. But if you think you’re having a medical emergency, you should call 911 or your local emergency number.